Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Corona Thoughts

I was on the schedule to teach the lesson at chapel tonight at the women's mission.
But "In light of the growing concerns of the spread of COVID-19" chapel services have been cancelled until further notice, so that close contact within group settings may be limited.

On the fourth Sunday of the month I always go to a local assisted living facility to lead a church service.
But they "aren't having any visitors, Bible study, church or live music at this time."

I was scheduled to speak for a MOPS group on April 1.
But "Following guidance from the governor, the Macomb County Health Department, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Michigan Department of Health and Human Services...we are canceling all of our MOPS meetings due to the potential spread of Coronavirus."

I know I am not the only one affected by numerous cancellations and changes in plans.
We're all in this together.
I also know it is easy to become disappointed, disturbed, and even angered by the elimination of so many things which we feel we need, require, must have, and can't live without. While I have been dealing with my own feelings of letdown, however, I have also been gifted by God with hope. In the midst of the frustration, HE has been speaking faith.
That is, His Spirit is beckoning mine to wonder things like, What if this virus isn't actually going to be the end of us? What if God has plans, rather, to use the entire situation for our good???
To be honest, I do have sincere concerns beyond the virus, itself. I mean, what is going to happen to our economy? I look at everything closing down, people not working yet still needing to earn money because they're still living - and living costs money - and I wonder, How are we going to make it? I think of my boss at Chick-fil-A, and business owners like him, and I wonder how deep of an economic impact these closings are going to have on them.
Even things like the movies.
I just saw "I Still Believe" (Which is really good, by the way. Really, REALLY good! As in, you should go see it when we're finsihed with this whole social distancing thing and the movie theaters open back up.) and I think, Man, what a bummer. The timing of that release and this pandemic. And I wonder what the economic impact will be for the movie makers.
Yet, in the middle of my questioning there HE is lifting my head, causing me to ponder a different thought. It's like He's asking me, Karen, dear, do you believe I am still on My throne? Do you trust Me? Do you have faith that I am in control and that I can take this circumstance - which the world sees as a tragedy - and use it for the good of mankind and the glory of the Godhead? Do you, dear one? Do you? Because I am. And I can. I will.
So with HIS assurance, with confidence that my Father can be trusted, my heart has begun to beat with a different rhythm. I am still asking Him to bring an end to the spread of the Coronavirus. I will continue to pray for healing of the sick and peace for the frightened. My petition remains that He would halt the devastation. But I am surrendering to the reality that there may be something good which HE will work from this trouble. I am believing God may use the pain of loss, the fear of uncertainty, even the discomfort of scarcity to humble us and draw us closer to Himself. Indeed, that is my hope and prayer.
Father, even though I cannot see and I do not understand, please use this earthly struggle for Your kingdom purpose. Work in us that which is pleasing to You!

Karen

No comments: