Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Please Keep Working

With everything in me, I just want to be a reflection of my Savior.
I want to have a heart like His.
I want to love like He loves, and serve like He served.
I want to be gracious and kind. Patient and full of mercy.
Yet, I fail at what I so deeply desire.
Too often I catch myself thinking unkind thoughts. I rush to judgment in a circumstance, thinking I know best - and silently criticizing someone else for doing what they thought was best. Other times I find myself too easily annoyed by the innocent actions of somebody who didn't realize I was watching, and wishing they'd have chosen to operate differently. Self-centeredness and demanding behavior overshadow the me I want to be.

And, wow, I feel incredibly vulnerable admitting these things here.

The other day I was in prayer, asking God to change my heart - pleading with Him to make me more like Jesus. (I don't remember for certain but I think I was responding to a moment when I had been less than solicitous in my attitude toward someone.) I was at the end of myself, so I simply poured out my heart. Please, God, please make me new. Please change my heart. Make me less like me, and more like Your Son. I'm sorry for the times when I fall short, when I give in to my flesh and my selfishness. LORD, please keep calling me to Yourself and Your ways. Yes, God, please keep working in me!
And can I tell you? For as discouraged as I get with myself, as disappointed as I am with my failures, I have confidence in the goodness of God and the power of His Spirit to work in me that which is pleasing to HIM. My sanctification is not up to my ability. I am trusting fully in the One who can do all things, and I am placing my broken self under His almighty and merciful hand.

Yes, LORD, please keep working.

Karen

No comments: