Thursday, April 18, 2013

New Self-Talk

I've mentioned that one of the ways I am combating depression is with improving my self-talk. When I do something which would typically send me downward, I literally say to myself, "It's OK," and I move on with life. It's a pretty good set up.

So, last weekend Brian was watching me make dinner. I was browning two pounds of ground beef and he commented something about that being a lot of meat. I went on to explain that I'd purchased a two-pound package and put it in the freezer without breaking it down first. (I probably said, "It's OK," when I realized my oversight. *wink*) So as I was making my menu plans for the week, I decided to make lasagna one night and tacos the next. That way I could use up all the ground beef in two nights. Voila! Problem solved.
And, right on cue, Brian said, "You're awesome!"
I looked at him and smiled. "Thanks. I needed that." He asked me why, and I told him I'd been feeling down because of some stupid/forgetful things I'd done. (Or NOT done, as the case may be. *ahem*) And, right on cue again, he asked if I'd been practicing my self-talk. I assured him, I was. Several times that day I had told myself, "It's OK." Avoided the downward spiral, but I still wasn't feeling very good.
Then I had a light bulb moment and said, "I know! I need to change my self-talk. From now on I'll say, 'It's OK. And I'm AWESOME!'"

Yeah. That ought to make me feel good. *wink*

Karen

No comments: