Thursday, May 05, 2016

Standing on the Promises

14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord... 16 He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God.

Luke 1:14-16
Years ago I sat listening to a dear friend reading these words to me. The scripture is the foretelling of John the Baptist. But at the time, I had the distinct sense God was making that same promise to me about one of my sons.
I remember when he was little and on many occasions as I was nearing my wits' end, I would repeat to myself over and over, "He will be a joy and a delight to you. He will be a joy and a delight to you."
I'm thinking that verse saved his hide a time, or two. Or a hundred. *wink*
God encouraged my heart this past weekend as He reminded me of that verse - and His promise - when I was praying for my son, with a mom-who's-been-there.
And HE's at it again. As I struggle with this man-child - part of me wanting to wring his neck out of frustration, and part of me wanting to hug his neck because I was once 18, too - God reminds me to stand on His promises. HE has not left me alone in this season, and HE will not abandon my son. Though the road is rough, I trust God knows what He's doing.
I cling to the hope of God using my son to bring people back to Himself.
And I trust Him to complete the good work He has begun.

Upon what promises are you standing today?

Karen

No comments: