Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Did They Know What They Were Saying?

At the beginning of this month I participated in a Bible reading marathon. As I sat and listened to another woman reading Matthew 27, with all the details surrounding the horrible moments around Jesus' death, I was surprised to find myself hopeful by a statement made by the angry crowd.

All the people answered, "Let his blood be on us and on our children!"

Matthew 27:25

Though the woman who was reading kept going, I had to pause with that statement.
I know the crowd spoken of in Matthew 27 was trying to communicate to Pilate something along the lines of, "Yeah. Whatever. Get on with it. Hand him over. We'll take responsibility for killing him. We'll even push it off onto our children if that will get you to give us this Man so we can crucify him!"
But as I pondered their words, and considered what Jesus was about to do for them (For all of us!), I couldn't help but wonder if those people really knew what they were saying. Because, what they were saying was exactly what they needed.

Let his blood be on us and on our children!

It is the cry of my heart and my prayer for my children. Jesus, let Your blood be on us. Let us be covered by Your blood - forgiven of our sins, by Your perfect sacrifice.

I don't know if the angry crowd knew what they were saying. But I am so thankful that His blood covers me!

Karen

15 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

Wow, I've never thought of it that way!!! Wow.

luvmy4sons said...

Yeah it was like a proclamation of sorts, wasn't it?! Amen. We are covered by the blood...only the blood! Amen!

gianna said...

oh, my word! What a great insight! oh, my! That gives me chills!

Anonymous said...

Amen to that, sweet Karen. Those words speak volumes!!

Great insight...thank you for sharing!

Blessings and much Joy,
Debby Ann

Karen Hossink said...

Jessica - It's so good to 'see' you!
Yeah, I know I've read those words before, but on that day they just stood out to me as they never have before.

Leslie - A proclamation. Yes.
So thankful to have His blood on me!

Gianna - Good chills, right? *grin*

Debby Ann - You're welcome.

On Purpose said...

Beautiful! Thank you for this as I start the day...reminded of how precious His Word is!

TheUnSoccerMom said...

Wow.... I've never thought of that verse in that way before....

Thank you! I will never read it the same way...

So thankful His Blood covers me and my child!!

Patricia said...

Wow!! I NEVER thought about it that way before!!! Karen, I am truly amazed by your insight of the Good Word! Wonderful!!

Karen Hossink said...

Nichole - You're welcome.
His Word IS precious!

UnsoccerMom - I love how God can show us new things over and over again.

Patricia - It's the insight HE gives me. All glory to God in the Highest!

AmberRay said...

Amen to that!

TheUnSoccerMom said...

RYC: Sure you can refer to me by name! :o)

I'm so looking forward to singing w/ the choirs in Heaven and would be honored to sing beside you. :o)

Karen Hossink said...

AmberRay - Amen!

Jodi - I'll save your spot if I get there first. *grin*

LauraLee Shaw said...

That gave me chills. What a beautiful way to understand that verse.

Sara K. said...

Awesome insight, Karen!!

Karen Hossink said...

LauraLee - Yes, it is.

Sara - Awesome God!