Friday, May 07, 2010

Pharmacy Notes

I want to thank each of you for your kindness and words of encouragement last Friday, as I let go of the tension from my first week of work. You're a blessing to me!

I'm not sure this is going to be a weekly feature on my blog, but - at least for today - I want to share with you one of the ways God blessed me this week by using me to encourage a customer at the pharmacy.

What started out as a typical transaction, turned into a pleasant conversation with a fellow mom. Customer A asked me to check the bottle in the bag, to be sure she was receiving the correct medication.
So I read the label and commented, "Oh. I have a son who takes Vyvanse, too." (That's what Matthew takes to help control his ADHD impulses.)
At that point, I wasn't going to say anything more about it. I had given the invitation and was leaving it up to Customer A to continue the conversation if she so desired.
She desired!
Because there were no customers waiting behind her in line (Guess WHO saw to that little detail?!) we were able to talk for three or four minutes about having sons with ADHD. We shared our initial concerns with trying medication, our desires to do what is best for our children, and our struggle to know what's 'best'.
As our conversation came to a close, this woman looked at me and said, "It is so good to talk to another mom who knows what I'm going through."
The feeling was mutual.

My hope is that dose of encouragement will last her for another month, and that I'll be working when she comes in for the next refill!

Karen

16 comments:

Leah Adams said...

I know I've been out of the blog loop lately but how did I miss that you were starting work at a pharmacy? Surely I would have picked up on that since I am a PHARMACIST. Good grief. i've got to find time to get back to reading a few blogs.

I've been preparing for a Mother/Daughter luncheon at which I'm speaking tomorrow and also trying to finish up the Bible study I'm writing. I feel quite out of the loop.

Leah

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - You've been busy! Sometimes the loop just needs to wait.
I think of you even more often now that I'm working in the pharmacy. *grin*

Mary Jo said...

Love you, my friend.
Praying for you as you are in this new 'arena' at the pharmacy. I know God will give you many opportunities for marketplace ministry. He's just cool like that.

Have a Happy Mother's Day! :)

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

That's what it's about, I believe -- moms encouraging moms!

Glad I found you.

luvmy4sons said...

Loved that story...love how you are being used wherever He puts you. AND now a a mom of an unmedicated severe ADHD child I am going to investigate this drug myself!

Patricia said...

What a blessing for both of you!

HAPPY MOTHER's DAY, my friend!!
ENJOY your weekend!
Hugs...
Patricia

Edie said...

Isn't that what God intended for you all along? To be an encouragement to other women. I think He planned that you would also received some encouragement too from someone walking in your shoes.

I'm glad things are going well at the pharmacy.

Sara K. said...

Karen, that is SO encouraging! I love it when God makes those "divine appointments" for us to talk to people. What a rewarding job you will have -- because of Him! :) Yay!!

Karen Hossink said...

Mary - Thanks for praying. God is faithful, and I am trusting Him!

Laura - I'm glad you found me, too.
We moms need to stick together. :)

Leslie - Vyvanse doesn't solve all our problems. But it sure helps Matthew control himself.

Patricia - Yes. It was. Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

Edie - God's plans are always good. Amen? *grin*

Karen Hossink said...

Sara - Because of HIM. Yes!!!

km said...

"It is so good to talk to another mom who knows what I'm going through."

What we all NEED! That's why I come here often.

gianna said...

I love being able to connect with people. Once when I was scheduling an appt at work, the mom told me that Dr. T was the one who referred her son. And I was like, "OH! My son sees him, too." And a floodgate was opened. I was able to tell her what my perspective was of him and how she doesn't need to worry that he's suggesting something that might not need to happen. And when I scheduled her with one of my favorite doctors, she was so thrilled to hear that she would like him. It feels so great to encourage people.

You seem to ALWAYS be encouraging someone. Praise!

Karen Hossink said...

KM - Yes, we do. And I'm glad you come here often!

Gianna - The connections are great. I agree!
Had a good day at work today and I think I was able to encourage a few people. My favorite part of today was teasing a young man who didn't know his mother's birthday. That might be the topic for next week's Pharmacy Notes. *grin*

LisaShaw said...

Praying for you Karen as you continue the journey GOD has for you. You are an encourager through Christ, to all WOMEN HE puts in your path Sister.

Happy Mother's Day! Love you.

Angie Muresan said...

Happy Mother's Day, Karen. I will be back tonight to read all your posts. I love going from one to the next. Have a blessed and beautiful day tomorrow!

Karen Hossink said...

Lisa - Thank you! You are a blessing to me.

Angie - I hope your Mother's Day was wonderful, too!