Friday, May 21, 2010

Pharmacy Notes

So, sometimes I do the encouraging.
Other times, it's the pharmacy customers who cheer me.
And today I want to share with you some of the ways I have been encouraged, with hopes that the next time you go to a pharmacy counter (or any other kind of counter!) you'll give one of these suggestions a try.

*I love it when a customer takes the time to read my name tag and uses my name.

*In the midst of waiting on frazzled and sometimes ornery customers, it is an absolute delight to have a customer approach the counter with a great big smile on his/her face.

*Once when we were waaaaaay backed up, and people were waiting in line, and several of them were irritated, and all of us behind the counter were bustin' our, uh, rear ends, I waited on an unusually kind customer. I thanked her for her patience and she smiled at me and said, "I figure complaining isn't going to make the line move any faster."
Oh, what a gift that comment was - spoken at just the right time.

Initially, I thought being behind the counter was simply going to open doors for me to encourage people in ways I would not otherwise be able to do. But now I realize, being behind the counter is also showing me how much I can lift up people when I am a customer - on the other side.

Let's go and do likewise!

Karen

14 comments:

Leah Adams said...

I'm off to do the pharmacy thing myself today. Have a great day!!

Leah

TheUnSoccerMom said...

the customer was so right, it doesn't make the line move any faster to complain... it's hard to have a positive all the time (especially when waiting, I'm not good w/ the patience thing) but it's a whole lot more fun than being negative....

so glad you got some rays of sunshine in your day!! :o)

Jerralea said...

Waiting in line seems to be one of the ways God teaches me patience ... I always pick the wrong one!

Deirdre said...

it is such a joy to spread joy.

km said...

Ah yes...spreading Joy. I learned about this during my stint at the craft store. I think my heart opened too for those who have worked at this type of a job their whole lives.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - May you encounter lots of patient and gracious people.

UnSoccerMom - You're right. It isn't easy, but why choose the alternative of being negative? Even so, I'll try to be sunshhine for the ones who are cloudy.

Jeri - Or maybe you're picking the right one...you know, so He can use them to teach you patience. *grin*

Deirdre - And to have it spread upon you!

KM - Yes. Most of the people in the pharmacy have ben there for a long time. That gives me hope to hold on through the learning curve, trusting that it WILL get better.

Patricia said...

Sooo true!!! I'm so glad when encouragment works both ways!!

I learned from my husband about the "name" thing...he always makes a point of saying people's names when they have a name tag on & it ALWAYS puts a smile on people's faces!! Hey, our names are one of the most important things we have, right? ;)

Have a WONDERFUL weekend, Karen!!
HUGS!!

gianna said...

yes ma'am.
And I will remember that it really doesn't make my daughter move any faster if I keep nagging her or whining at her! right?

luvmy4sons said...

Amen! It takes no greater effort to be kind! Blessings!

On Purpose said...

This is GREAT words of wisdom! Thank you Karen for reminding my actions and words need to come from the heart where Jesus resides! I want to be a true and real respresentation of Jesus...and He would be loving, kind and patient!

Karen Hossink said...

Patricia - Yes, there's just something about someone using your name. It's like you're a person, not just a worker.

Have a wonderful weekend, Patricia!

Gianna - That's right. So the lessons I'm learning can be applied at home, too. Yes!

Leslie - And the benefit for the 'no greater effort' is wonderful!

Nichole - Oh, for the world to see Jesus in me! Yes, even the cashier at the store.

happyhome said...

Great reminders Karen.

Karen Hossink said...

Angela - Thanks. And thanks for stopping by!

LisaShaw said...

Hi Karen,

Great message! This is something my husband and I speak of often as we feel that good customer service is not seen as much these days on either end (the side of the customer or the person serving them) and therefore when we approach people at a register, or a server at a restaurant, etc. we make sure we love on them with smiles, greetings and yes using their first names if they have a badge on.

It helps them but it also in turn blesses the customers because often that opens a flow of kindness between both parties.

You know you have my prayers dear sister. Love you. Mailed your package today.