Friday, May 28, 2010

Pharmacy notes

I love that God is not limited in the ways and places He can speak to us.

Love it!

Because this week as I was waiting on several pharmacy customers, God was speaking to my heart.
You see, at the Meijer pharmacy we have a free antibiotic program, wherein - as the name would indicate - several of our antibiotics are free to the customer. The thing is, not everyone who is getting one of these antibiotics realizes they're free. So when the individual opens his/her wallet and I say, "There's no charge today," that person often responds with a shocked look and says, "What???"
At which point, I smile at them and tease, "Don't ask questions. Just accept it."
Then we usually laugh a bit, and they go on their merry way.

But one day, as I went through this scene for about the sixth or seventh time, God made me see things differently.
From His perspective, I think.
And I wondered, How many times has God meant to give me a gift, just because He's good and that's the kind of thing He does, and I have felt the need to 'pay' Him for it? How many times have I objected to His grace, because I didn't think I deserved it? How many times has God wanted to say to me, Don't ask questions, Karen. Just accept it.?

Are you understanding what I'm saying?

All He wants us to do is say, Thanks! and accept His gift.
No questions.
Just thanksgiving!

Have a wonderful weekend!
I have a video ready for Monday. If you aren't too busy with picnics and such, I hope you'll stop by for a visit.

Karen

12 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

Great post Karen! Funny, my sister just had to get antibiotics and found out they were free at Publix. I was amazed!

Sara K. said...

Oh Karen... you are so right! I *know* that I often question God's grace, or am reluctant to receive it, because I don't think I deserve it. Reminds me of a time I wanted to serve a sweet sister who was home-bound with her sick kids by bringing her a Starbucks, but she refused (probably didn't want to put me out) -- but it would have blessed my heart to serve her in that way! I wonder if that's how God feels -- so eager to want to shower His awesome forgiveness and love on us!

Karen Hossink said...

Jessica - Thanks. I think it's more fun to find out things are free when you don't expect it. Don't you?

Sara - You make a good point. And I surely don't want to steal joy from God by not accepting what He wants to give me.

gianna said...

I know it, but still I find it hard to live it. Accept something free? NO, I just can't do that. Except that I have to and I think God would like it better if accepted gratefully instead of with a "Are you SURE?"

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Oh, I so know what you mean. I'm re-reading "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Yancy and loving it a second time.

Have a great holiday weekend.

Karen Hossink said...

Gianna - I think He would, too!

Laura - Re-reading books is a good thing. Love to see 'new' things I didn't catch the first time through.

Beth Herring said...

i love it! this is great!

you just bless me over and over sweet friend,

Beth

Karen Hossink said...

Awww, thanks, Beth!

luvmy4sons said...

I am applauding. Can you see me? Perfect analogy! I love it! How many go about trying to earn grace when it is free! And by the way I was one of those people who could not believe my antibiotic was free the other day...but at Krogers. Sorry!

Karen Hossink said...

Leslie - KROGERS???
I don't know if we can be friends anymore.
LOL! Love you!!!

Angie Muresan said...

No questions? I need to remember to just be thankful and stop questioning.

Karen Hossink said...

Angie - That's right. No questions!