Friday, January 15, 2016

New Friday Series: Title TBD

Soooooo, I started my new job this week!

I am a Life Enrichment Assistant at Grandhaven Living Center in Lansing.
In other words, I am helping facilitate activities for some precious senior citizens.
It is very similar to what I was doing at Edgewood. Except this time I am not the one "in charge."
And I am so good with that. *smile*

I have much to learn, like names and buildings/floor plans and entry codes associated with each. (It's a memory care facility. So the doors must be secured.) I did it before. I know I can do it again. But, oh - my brain is in overload right now.
There is one very sweet woman who implanted herself in my mind and heart right away. She lights up the room when she walks into it, and after knowing her for only a short while - I am convinced she can do nothing except be nice. Yesterday before I left work, she gave me these:
They're paper flowers she made (She attached the middle with needle and thread!), and upon which she composed kind notes to me. Honestly? I wasn't able to decipher everything she wrote. But I did interpret that she loves me, and she's glad I have joined the staff at Grandhaven.
My cohorts in the Life Enrichment department assure me - I'll be receiving more notes like these from J. I've seen their collection of these flowers in our office and now I understand what they are. Little pieces of love from a very sweet little lady.

And so I embark on a new vocational adventure. Thankful to God for leading me here, and trusting Him to walk me through it. Don't know what I'm going to call it yet, but I hope you'll join me for the journey.

Karen

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

How precious! What a ministry she has...a ministry of love and encouragement. Can't wait to read more about how God uses and grows you in this new place.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - Yes. She is a sweet soul.