Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Welcome to my Alternative Classroom

Grrr.

Stupid winter weather.

I was very much looking forward to attending Precepts Tuesday, to begin our discussion of Acts 1.
But our unusually mild winter has come to an abrupt end, and unsafe driving conditions lead to the cancellation of our class.

Did I mention I was looking forward to our discussion?

If you don't mind, I've decided to process my thoughts with you here on my blog. Actually, even if you do mind - I'm going to do it. You have the option of clicking off this page, I suppose. But I hope you'll stick around - that we might encourage each other through the Word of God. *smile*

So over the past week I have been studying the first chapter of Acts. And, while there is a lot of good stuff in there, one thing in particular stood out to me and has been ruminating in my spirit.
Consider this:
6 So when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, “Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?” 7 He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; 8 but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”

Acts 1:6-8
What did the apostles want to know?
And what did Jesus tell them?
He answered their question. But did He tell them what they wanted to know?
Indeed, He did not.
He told them what they needed to know.
Seems the apostles were focused on the wrong concern. But rather than chastising them for their misplaced curiosity, Jesus gently redirected their attention - and told them what was important. In my mind, Jesus' words sound something like this: Hey, guys. Yours isn't to know the details of when the Kingdom is coming. Yours is to tell everyone about Me, so when the Kingdom comes - they'll be ready.

I believe it is no accident that I am studying this passage at this time in history. For very often recently, I have taken into consideration the happenings of our world - the natural disasters, the steep moral decline, the terrorism, the constant battle with evil. And I cannot help but wonder, Is it happening? LORD, are You getting things ready for Your return???
It may be that He is. But in studying Acts 1 this past week, I keep getting an overwhelming sense that we don't need to know when Jesus is coming back. Rather, we are to "be [His] witnesses" all over this world, so that when He comes back - people will be ready.

By the power of the Holy Spirit, let's do this!

Karen

No comments: