Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I'm A Little Slow

I know. No major revelation there! *wink*

But I surprised myself recently at how s-l-o-w I really can be sometimes.
It was the weekend of the Among Friends Conference - and I had been a busy girl. Was pretty much away from my house from Thursday at noon until Saturday at 3:30. Yes, I slept there Thursday night, but that doesn't amount to much in terms of family interaction time. Ya know?
Anyway, as I was walking in the door Saturday, Elizabeth was walking out to spend time with a friend. But she was back within an hour or so. And I said, "Wow! That was quick!" She said her friends were going to a movie, but she didn't want to miss dinner because I had been gone all weekend. So she decided to skip the movie.
I thought that was sweet. But didn't think much more of it.

I made dinner and we ate together as a family. Then I sat down to work on some Among Friends accounting, and Elizabeth washed the dishes.
Elizabeth was finished with her chore long before I was, and she came and stood by me while I counted and added and re-counted and re-figured... When I finally realized she wasn't really "doing" anything except watching me I asked Elizabeth, "Is there something you want to do with me?" She just kind of looked at me, and I could see she was on the verge of tears. So I stood up and the two of us walked into my bedroom and plopped down on the bed for some mother/daughter talk time.
As Elizabeth poured her heart out, I prayed and asked God to give me the words to say to this sweet, precious girl He's entrusted to my care. We had a great conversation. As I listened to my daughter, I grew to love her even more. Didn't know that was possible! And then I wrapped my arms around her and prayed - knowing our God is able to lead her and make her into the woman He wants her to be. It was truly a beautiful time together.

And then it dawned on me. The reason Elizabeth skipped the movie was because she wanted to talk with me. Don't know why it took so long for me to realize it...
Like I said, I'm a little slow!

Karen

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

What a precious revelation! Love your relationship with your girlie!!

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - I do, too. So much!