Wednesday, March 06, 2013

I Want to be Like that Dog

The other day I was stopped at an intersection, waiting for the light to turn green, when I saw a man on a bicycle riding toward me.

And there by his side was a big, beautiful, black dog.

The man rode out onto the street in front of my van, and the dog trotted right along with him. I watched as the man slowed to turn the corner, and observed the dog slowing exactly as his master did. They stopped together, and waited together, and when the man started riding across another road, the dog immediately followed.
I noticed the dog did not hesitate to cross the street with his master after they had waited at the side of the road. Even though there were cars driving by, the dog went obediently after his master. And I marveled at the trust that dog was expressing.
He paid attention to his master's every move and kept up with his every step.
The dog didn't stop his master to discuss the benefits of waiting for this or that car to move or stop; he just trusted his master to know when it was safe to go.
The dog never dropped back to see if his master was going to make it safely across the street before he followed. He simply trotted along - in obedience and trust.

As I sat at the intersection, watching the man on a bicycle and his faithful dog, I saw a beautiful picture of what it looks like to follow Jesus.
And I thought to myself, I want to be like that dog.

Karen

No comments: