Thursday, March 14, 2013

It's OK

"It's OK."

I have been finding myself making that statement to myself more and more lately.
I forgot to put birthday cards out at work for the staff to sign on the first of the month. And when I realized it on the 6th - because I missed somebody's birthday - before I started beating myself up (as was my former habit), I said out loud, "It's OK."
I woke in a slight panic Friday night with the realization I hadn't ordered linens for the Among Friends Conference this weekend. When I checked my information sheet Saturday morning I saw that, yes, they were supposed to be ordered by 5:00 Thursday - if they were going to be delivered on Monday. But I knew I could pick them up myself. They didn't really need to be delivered. And I spoke again, "It's OK."

I cannot tell you how freeing that short statement has become to me.

Before my depression diagnosis and treatment, those two incidents would have sent me into a pit - where I would have been crying and beating myself up for not being perfect, and not being able to do everything perfectly.
I had very unrealistic expectations of myself, and it was miserable.
That isn't to say I no longer care about doing my best at things. I still have high expectations. But I have learned the world will not end as a result of me messing up, or not being able to do all things at all times. I have learned to give myself grace, and to accept my limitations. What a wonderful lesson to learn!

All that to say, I am going to take a short break from this blog. The Among Friends Conference is happening this weekend and I will be spending most of my day today getting ready for it. I usually spend significant time on Thursdays preparing my blog for the next week. But while I am on this streak of giving myself grace I have decided it would be good to not push myself to the point of irritability by trying to spend most of my day doing TWO things at once. Make sense?

Soooooo, I'll plan to be back on Monday the 25th.
With plenty of pictures and stories about Among Friends.

In the mean time, keep your eyes fixed on HIM!

Karen

2 comments:

Sara said...

Karen,
It was so nice to meet you at the Among Friends Conference (I am Mary Voogt's sis-in-law) and so amazing to witness you glorify God in song with Kathy Troccoli, living your dream. You are such an amazing woman, a wonderful inspiration. Thank you for organizing such a wonderful event. It was just what I needed. I hope that our lives cross paths again one day.

Sara

Karen Hossink said...

Sara - I enjoyed meeting you, too. :)
Thank you for your kind words. We're already talking about having Among Friends back at Trinity in 2015. If God wills, it will happen!
So glad you could be a part of it this weekend. God knew you needed it!
And HE is able to make our paths cross again. That would be great. :)