Friday, March 01, 2013

Lessons From the Edge

Take time to have fun with your family.

Last Friday I interviewed B for his Resident of the Week feature. And when I got to my last question, "As you think back over your life, what would you say is the greatest lesson you've ever learned?" he hardly had to take time to think about it. B just paused briefly, then looked at me and said, "Take time to have fun with your family."
Typically, the life-lessons I hear from Edgewood residents are full of wisdom, and are often quite challenging. But none has been as immediately applicable as B's was for me last week.

Friday when I got home from work, I got busy making dinner - as I usually do. I was looking forward to the weekend, and an opportunity to have some down time - just doing what I want to do. And I was anticipating that doing-what-I-want-to-do-thing beginning right after dinner. However, during dinner the kids started talking about playing a game after dinner. The suggestion was Rummikub, and I could get on board with that idea. I like Rummikub!
But somewhere between my agreeing to play the game and the time it actually started, the game of choice became Monopoly, not Rummmikub.
And now I didn't want to play anymore.
Monopoly was fun to me as a kid, but now I think it takes too long. And it's boring. I seem to spend half my time in jail just trying to roll doubles so I don't have to pay money to get out. Boring!
So I just wasn't going to play.

But then something (or rather, SomeONE) prompted me to put aside my feelings and play anyway. So, I did.
Brian and I, Matthew, Elizabeth, and her friend stayed up until way past my bedtime playing Monopoly. Oh, I spent my fair share of time in jail - never did get those doubles! - and by the time the game was over I was so tired I could barely see straight.
But we had so.much.fun! We laughed a lot. We became expert negotiators, as we tried to convince one another to sell us the properties we wanted. And we learned what happens when you mortgage yourself so far into debt there's nowhere to turn. You lose!
We all went to bed happy that night, because we'd had such a fun time. And as I reflected on my original intent to skip the game - compared to my present satisfaction with having played - I realized the value in the lesson B had shared that morning.

Take time to have fun with your family.

Karen

4 comments:

Kaira said...

That is good advice! I find whenever I play Monopoly or Life with the kids that we have good life lesson conversations. :)

Karen Hossink said...

Kaira - Yeah. Conversations like, "Don't spend all of your money on 'things' so that, in order to pay your debts, you end up having to sell your home(s) and mortgage your properties, only to find out that isn't enough, either!" haha!

Kaira said...

Exactly!

When we play Life and one of the boys decides to pass on having a kids and taking the "family path" for living "life in the fast lane" I get a little offended.

Those games really do have some valuable lessons. :)

Leah Adams said...

What great advice! I've tried to do more of that kind of thing in the past year or so. For me it looks more like sitting with my man to watch a ballgame or movie or going to the college basketball game to watch our international student play. I'm finally learning that taking time to be with others pays huge dividends and I don't always have to be doing some 'productive'.