Friday, October 29, 2010

Lessons from the Edge

Sometimes, the best thing you can say is...nothing.

I was sitting at my desk this week when M came in and said she needed to talk to me. She wondered if I 'had a minute'.
I told her, "Sure!" and turned toward her so I could listen. As M told me about her disappointment with some changes which have taken place, I sat wondering what I could say to make her feel better. I thought about suggesting a plan of action.
But I had nothing.
She went on to tell me about a friendship she used to have with a resident who has since moved away. And I pondered words to comfort her.
Still, nothing came to mind.
Before long, she was telling me about some of the hard times she had faced as a wife and mother. As I sat and listened, I couldn't fathom the words which would ease the pain of her memories.
And, just as before, I had nothing to say.

The next thing I knew, another resident had come into the Activity Room and my conversation with M came to an end.
An end? So soon? I thought to myself. But I haven't even had a chance to respond to her!
Yet, as I looked at M, it seemed to me she was feeling a little better. And I reasoned, she really didn't come to me because she was looking for a response. I think she just needed someone to hear her.
And that's when I realized, Sometimes, the best thing you can say is...nothing!

Karen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so cherish the friendships I have with certain others where I can vent my frustrations and the only response I receive is a hug or a beautiful smile of encouragement :o} Sometimes...all we need is a dear sister's shoulder to lean on.

Thanks for reminding me of that!

Have a wonderful weekend,
Blessings and much Joy,
Debby Ann

luvmy4sons said...

(:

gianna said...

This was perfect for me to read! Thanks!

Leah Adams said...

I really need to remember this more often. Do you think a muzzle over my mouth might help?

Leah

Karen Hossink said...

Debby Ann - Yes. Sometimes that's all! And it's enough.

Leslie - Thanks for stopping by!

Gianna - You're welcome. :)

Leah - Hmmm. It might! *grin*