Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Why Is It?

We had an interesting discussion at small group Sunday night, and I'd love to hear what you think.

Someone was talking about a friend who is going through hard times. (With his business, I think. I honestly don't remember - because the details escaped me after I got to wondering about the bigger question.) Apparently this person prayed about his decision, and saw God opening doors. So he walked through them. As the doors were opening, this person was confident God was leading him, and would be with him through this new venture.
BUT
Once he got started in the new venture, he began facing difficulty and proceeded to question where God was.

And that's where our discussion began.

Do you think it's possible that God would lead you down a path which HE knows will be full of trials?
Might God open doors for you, into rooms where you will experience struggle?
Could it be that God's plan is not for your ease, but for your sanctification?
If God knows what is best for us - if He has our holiness in mind - might He look at a trail of trials, and lead us down it for the purpose of refining us?

If so, then why is it we can sense God's leading in a certain direction, we can thank Him for opening doors for us, we can trust Him with the way we're going - but when things start getting difficult, we question where He is?

Karen

7 comments:

Heather {Desperately Seeking} said...

dead on! dead on! you're so right.... and i think our human-ness helps us forget that. I think when we see all these doors open we get excited... we think that it's our path to easy street... but it's not.

Anonymous said...

Refining...yes... and a reminder that it is God who has opened the door and it is God who will make it happen as we learn to keep our focus on Him along the way. "Walk by faith and not by sight"

Blessings Sweet Karen to you and your family...

Debby Ann

TheUnSoccerMom said...

Oh yeah... I believe God wants to remind us who is in control. I know it's easy to stray and question and so hard to believe and lean on Him in the difficult times.

I've had a rough couple of days of parenting. I strayed and haven't prayed or stayed in His word and I can see it and feel it. I wasn't/I'm not where He wants me to be with Him or my relationship with my daughter.

My mother helped me to "see the light" this morning. So blessed to have her in my life.

So, yeah.. why do we question where He is?? When all we have to do is stop, pray and believe. He's with us.

Patricia said...

And that is the heart of faith, isn't it? To keep on trusting HIM to lead us when we can't "see" where we are going...I'm curretnly reading Jeremiah now & it has been teaching me that at times like this, praying diligently keeps us on track.

Great post, Karen!

Ronel said...

Wow, are you reading my journal or what??

I just blogged today about Moses and questioning God's call on him going to Pharoh to get the Israelites freed. Moses questioned but God has a plan and was clearing leading him in the direction of leading them into the promise land. Once he began the journey he faces tons of adversity yet it was all apart of God's plan.

I have been struggling with my studies and wondering if God was really leading me to seminary or if I had miss understood his calling on my life. When I stop and listen to Him.... I realize I need some refining in my studies and He is just showing me that through this trial. I think the devil likes to send trials our way especially when we are following God.... and God is patiently waiting for us to continue through the trials.

Just my thoughts after reading Exodus!!

Much love, Ronel

Karen Hossink said...

Heather - That's it! Open doors do not equate to easy street. Good point.

Debby Ann - Yes. HE opens the door, and if He's done it we can trust that it's good. Even if it isn't 'easy'.

Jodi - Let's pray.
Father in heaven, thank You so much for Jodi's mother. Thank You for speaking through her to Jodi this morning! I'm asking You now to draw Jodi near to Yourself, to speak to her heart and assure her of Your presence. Yes, please help her to understand Your good purpose for the hard time she's experiencing.
Thank You that we can trust You at all times.
I'm asking it all in the precious Name of JESUS.
Amen and amen!


Patricia - Because if we could see, we wouldn't need to trust!
God said a lot of good things through Jeremiah. Enjoy the reading!

Ronel - Hee hee. Didn't I tell you I had a secret camera installed in your house? *wink*
I'm learning that trials are not necessarily bad things. Unpleasant? Maybe. But God can use it all for good. Keep holding onto Him, my friend.

Sara K. said...

Right on, Karen! There's no place in the Bible where it says that if you are a faithful follower of Jesus Christ your life will be smooth sailing and never encounter hardship. (It has taken me years to embrace this truth, and I think I'm just sort of finally starting to get it!) In fact, Jesus said, "In this world you WILL have troubles..." And I am so glad He finished that statement with "but take heart, for *I* have overcome the world!" :)