Tuesday, March 20, 2018

He Knows Me Too Well For My Own Good

I love a bargain.
Love, LOVE a good bargain!
In fact, to me the only thing better than a bargain (Except Jesus. NOTHING is better than Jesus!) is telling everyone I know about the good bargain I found.
So last week when I received multiple emails about Younker's Goodwill sale, I took notice. And on the day one of those emails included a coupon for $50 off a $100 purchase - I took extra notice. Because I still had Christmas money sitting in my wallet which I have been entirely too cheap to spend.
I printed the coupon, and went to the mall that evening after dinner.
And, oh my, did I ever get some deals!!??
Check this out:
* 3 sleeveless blouses (Two of which are Calvin Klein - not that I care about name brands, but the information adds to the value of the story. *wink*)
* 2 light-weight cardigans
* 1 long-sleeve tee
* 1 pair of pants
Manufacturer suggested retail price for all seven items: $305.
Amount I paid after mark-downs, $50 off $100 coupon, and 30% Goodwill coupons? $84.43
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like the amount I paid (which, by the way, includes sales tax) was only 27% of the MSRP.
Yeah. That is the way I like to shop!

Anyway, when I finally got home each one of my guys - the one I married, and the ones to whom I gave birth - had to got to hear all about my shopping trip and the amazing bargain I got. How many times did I say, "The MSRP was $305, and I only paid $84.43!"?
I was so pleased with myself and my deal!

So, the next day I came home from visiting elderly friends and found Josh on the couch when I walked in the door. After polite greetings and inquiries about one another's day, I said something like, "Oh, but you're never going to believe the candy bar I got. The price was $1.39!" I was just about to bemoan the fact that it hurt to spend that much for a candy bar, because back in my day a candy bar was only 25 cents, when Josh asked with a hint of sarcasm, "Oh, but how much did you get it for, Mom???"
I just hung my head and chuckled. Josh totally called my bluff.
I refuse to spend money on over-priced clothing because I know I can wait until it goes on sale, and then I'll get an amazing deal.
But an over-priced candy bar which calls my name when my tummy is grumbling?
Honestly? I probably would have paid $2.00 for it.
I mean, I would have grumbled - but I would have paid it.

Karen

No comments: