Friday, March 16, 2018

Touched by an Angel

I just received an email notifying me it's time for a TB test. Because it's been a year since my last one - which means I've been volunteering with Great Lakes Caring for an entire year already. I had six months of Lovely Moments, and now I am blessed to be Touched by an Angel.
What an incredible joy!

So, this week when I visited with Angel we had a short conversation when I arrived, and then we moved right into reading the Bible. Have I said before how much I love how much Angel loves hearing His Word? I know I have! *smile* I suggested we start with the Creation story, and Angel agreed - so I opened up to Genesis 1 and began reading.
I enjoyed hearing Angel's various vocal responses to what I read, but by the time I got to The Flood, she was asleep and the room was quiet - except for the sound of my voice.
I think it was the lack of extra sounds which allowed me to concentrate more on what I was reading. And I think it was my extra thoughtfulness which allowed for my train of thought. That is, as I read about "how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time," and, "The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled," (Genesis 6:5-6) I wondered, What does God see when He looks at us today?
Have you ever wondered the same thing? Have you ever contemplated how evil mankind was before the Flood that God regretted making him, to the extent that He washed it all away and started over? Are we in 2018 more or less morally deficient than Noah's contemporaries?

I wonder.

I paused in my reading to ponder the thought.
Then Angel awoke, and I started reading again from chapter 37. Together, we delighted in God's faithfulness to Joseph, and we marveled at His ability to take what man meant for evil and use it for good. We sat there - Angel and I - in the presence of God who is holy and perfect and righteous in every way, and we praised Him. We thanked Him for His goodness and mercy. And we rested in the knowledge of God's enduring love for us.
I'm telling you, friends, it is such a deep, deep joy to spend an hour with Angel every week and to have her point me to the Father - even when she barely says a word.

Karen

No comments: