Tuesday, March 19, 2019

And There is Hope

The study I have been doing of Ezekiel has provided many, many opportunities for self-examination. Oftentimes my heart has been broken for the condition of my own nation - as I have read about the rebellion and stubbornness of the nation of Israel. And the consequences of such disobedience.
More than once I have found myself begging God for mercy.
Oh, I know we don't deserve it, but I continue to cast myself before Him.
Because there seems to be no other option.
What other way than by the grace of His mercy will we finally know HE is the LORD?


So, these thoughts of our desperation have been heavy on my heart - and then I came to Ezekiel 34.
The chapter begins with the word of the LORD coming to Ezekiel, speaking woe to the shepherds of Israel. The shepherds who did not care for the flock. Who stood by and did nothing to strenghten the weak or bind up the injured.
In response, God determines to care for the flock, Himself. To place over them a shepherd who will tend to them. And then HE promises to make a covenant of peace.
It is an absolutely beautiful picture of God's mercy and grace.
Although the ultimate fulfillment of these words is yet to come, I see in them a depiction of Jesus, coming as the One who knows what we need and who is able to meet that need. His love, His protection, His never-ending patience. It overwhelms me.
In a very good way!
And I find my heart lifted, no longer heavy. Because I am reminded there is Hope.
Friends, there is HOPE!
In the midst of a world which is lost and rebellious, there is hope.
In the depths of a marriage between hurting people - which is broken and falling apart, there is hope.
Even though a circumstance is dark and all the options seem to lead nowhere, there is hope.
Despite the prognosis which claims the end is near, there is hope.
Because God always has the last say.
Because He is Redeemer of the lost, Repairer of the broken, Restorer of the weak.
Because His mercy is great.
Because JESUS.

Karen

No comments: