Friday, March 29, 2019

It's My Pleasure

How often do you consider the impact of your words?
I mean, really.
Do you think about the way you speak?
About how what you say (and how you say it!) affects your listener?

Since beginning my job at Chick-fil-A I have had ample opportunity for such reflection.
It all began with my need to begin responding to expressions of thanks by saying, "It's my pleasure!" Because that's the Chick-fil-A way.
It's the servant-attitude, the verbalization of Second Mile Service.
When we're able to meet a need someone has in the restaurant and they express gratitude, we want them to know we are truly happy to serve. We want to communicate their worth and value by letting them know serving them was much more than "No problem". Rather, that meeting their need really does delight us. And choosing to respond with, "It's my pleasure!" is one way to accomplish our goal.
(Those words do make a difference. Try it sometime!)

Besides the impact of those words on the listener, however, I have discovered a wonderful impact on the speaker, too.
That is to say, in moving from my previously typical response of, "You're welcome," (Which can be uttered begrudgingly. BUT, try saying, "It's my pleasure!" reluctantly. Can't do it!) to an enthusiastic, "It's my pleasure!" my heart attitude has joined forces with my words - and I can honestly say it IS my pleasure to serve our guests.
To get a few extra sauces.
To wipe up a spill.
To re-do an order because you changed your mind.
To do, whatever.
Simply because of being intentional with the words I use.
It's a beautiful thing.
And it's a behavior I am praying the LORD will help me carry over into the rest of my life.
I mean, it isn't difficult to do when I am at work - because everybody else is doing it, too! But I want to be intentionally living a servant-hearted-life all the time. Even when I am not getting paid to do so. *ahem!*

How about you? Are you willing to give this way of speaking/living a try???

P.S. I am going on vacation with my family next week, so I won't be posting here on the blog. If God says the same, I'll be back on Monday, April 8. Showers of grace and blessing on you until then!

Karen

No comments: