Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Don't "Do You"

I made a mistake.
In retrospect, I feel like I should have been able to avoid it.
Nonetheless, I was a proponent of the "do you" craze. (Even bought my daughter a wall-hanging which says "Be-YOU-tiful". Because I think she is a precious soul, and I wanted to encouage her in being the beautiful young lady God was making her to be.)
In many ways the "Do You" movement has been about not following the crowd. About being an individual, rather than trying to measure up to unrealistic expectations which others might place on a person. It's been about, "You're different than the crowd, and that's OK!" It has celebrated diversity in our physical appearances and abilitites, and even likes and dislikes. The trend has set a tone for embracing our uniqueness.
And I see that as a good thing.
However, in recent days I have gained a different perspective.
That is, I have seen people cheering "do you" in a darker tone. Specifically, though the Word of God tells us how to live, many people are choosing not to live that way - and people (even some Christians) are cheering those individuals on by encouraging them to "Do you!"
And as I read the comments (This particular day it was in a thread on a Facebook post.) I thought, Wait a minute. People here - who claim to love my friend - are encouraging him to go with his passions and do the things his flesh wants to do, regaradless of what he knows the Word of God tells him is right. Just "do you". Celebrate who "you" are by doing what you want to do. Really???
Because at the same time the Holy Spirit brought scripture to my mind which didn't line up with that way of thinking. Scripture like this:

For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin

Romans 6:6
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires

Ephesians 4:22
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

Colossians 3:5
Try as I might, I just couldn't get those verses to support the notion that it's a good thing to "do you".
OK, I didn't really try to get them to affirm that idea. *wink*
I did, however, recall verses which encouraged a much different way of doing life.
Verses like this:
28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

Romans 8:28-29
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is — his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Romans 12:2
20 That, however, is not the way of life you learned 21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Ephesians 4:20-24
Oh, I love how the Word of God speaks to the heart of man!!! (And woman!)
Because when we get to the Truth, we understand there is nothing good in ourselves. At the core of our being is sin and selfishness and death. To "Do You" - as much of our culture is calling us to do - is simply to cultivate that which the Word of God calls us to put to death.
How much better to obey the higher calling of being conformed into the likeness of Christ?
I still believe it is a good thing to embrace our uniqueness - and not be concerned with fitting in to what "everybody else" is doing, or likes, or wants to attain. However, I am stepping far, far away from the philosophy which touts "Do you!" and I am trading that statement in for this one: Do HIM!

Karen

No comments: