Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Some Things Never Change. Thankfully, Others Do!

So, it's been about two months since Josh moved out of our house, and into an apartment.
In the beginning we saw him frequently, often right around dinner time.
But in recent weeks Josh-sightings have been somewhat rare. (That is, since I have been working at Chick-fil-A I am gone more frequently during the day, so when he does stop by I am often not home.)
And that distance called for a special dinner invitation last week.
We made plans for Josh to join us Friday, and I was looking forward to feeding my boy some good home-cooking again.
(Ended up changing plans to Saturday, because he had a better offer - or something - Friday. *wink*)
So he came over Saturday evening for dinner, and he brought Mindy along. (Did I mention that our dog moved out with him?) And I noticed how some things never change.
That is to say, when we sat down to eat Mindy found her way to the space between my chair and the wall. Her usual spot from her pre-apartment-days.
Additionally, when we sat down to eat Josh had disappeared into the basement for something. And when he made it back up - and the rest of us were seated at the table - he was in search of a charger for his phone, which meant he blew through the kitchen looking for said techno-gadget.
His usual behavior from his pre-apartment-days.
As I thought about my efforts to prepare a nice dinner for my son I got a little huffy at his perceived indifference, and I might have rolled my eyes.
My usual response to his pre-apartment-days behaviors.
When he finally made it to the table (Phone plugged in and charging.) we all held hands and started to sing the blessing.
And I shouldn't have been surprised to see that God's faithfulness is just like it has always been since long before those pre-apartment days.
Because Brian randomly chose the "Every Day" song for us to sing. (Have I mentioned before my absolute dis-belief in anything "random"?) With a twinge of annoyance still in my heart I joined the guys singing, "Every day is just a day until You come my way. Things change when I stop to thank You..."
And instantly God changed my heart.
Indeed, I quickly recognized I had so much for which to give HIM thanks. Another day of life, everything I need, a home, a good meal, my husband and both of my sons sitting at the table with me.
Yes, even that son who sometimes does things which annoy me. God reminded me I can give thanks for Josh - that silly annoyances are meaningless. I am thankful for the gift he is to my life. For the ways God is growing him. For the promises I still believe HE is working in that young man.
Ah, yes, there is so much for which I can give thanks. And, truly, things change - my heart changes - when I stop to thank HIM.
Yet, for as delighted as I am that some things change, I am forever grateful that HE never changes.
My God is always faithful, and I am eternally glad.

Karen

No comments: