Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Through the Years

So, Elizabeth and Phil needed something to hold their new projector. And after searching through our basement they found the perfect thing! A small bookcase which was doing nothing more than holding some old books-n-such. All I had to do was find a new home for the books-n-such. And in the process of doing that, I came across these photos in an album I'd completely forgotten.

First, we have this gem from circa September 1996. I can't help but chuckle as I notice how exhausted I look in this picture. It also kind of shocks me that I once had hair that long.


Next comes May, 1998. Josh is four months old, Elizabeth has recently turned 2, and Brian and I are still just kids - trying to comprehend that we have kids of our own!

My best guess is that this picture is from November in 1999. It's clear that Josh is going to be a blonde - rather than the redhead we were suspecting at first, and you can't tell yet but: Matthew is on the way!

And then it would seem we got busy and didn't have a family portrait taken for a while. I'm thinking this photo was taken in the early part of 2004. So, since the last one Matthew was born (obviously!) and I'd had brain surgery. Hence, the short hair. And, yes. I am holding Matthew's hands down - not just holding them. The boy couldn't stop moving! (I still remember that fact.)

Ahhhh, it is so much fun for me to look at these pictures and remember life from yesteryear.
Part of me wants to go back in time and give a lecture/pep-talk/sermon/I've-been-there-and-now-I-know-better-speech to my younger self.
Another piece of me feels like crying for the time she wasted in anger, frustration, and insensibility.
I can honestly say some of me would love to go back and re-live the moments. (Not the entire days, mind you. Just some of the moments. *ahem*)
But mostly, as I look and remember and contemplate the events of the past 22+ years - I am overwhelmingly grateful for God's grace and mercy and never-ending patience.
At the best moments, HE was there. In the darkest days, HE was there.
When I had a firm grasp on life, and when I wasn't sure how I would manage living through the next moment - God was there wooing me closer to His heart.
Holding my hand and leading me to the next step.
It's a beautiful thing, remebrance is.
What a blessing to conjure up the faithfulness of God and recall the days when HE carried me.
Hmmmmm, I'm so glad Elizabeth and Phil wanted that bookcase.

Karen

No comments: