Friday, March 08, 2019

It's My Pleasure!

Sooooo, I started my job at Chick-fil-A this week.
Orientation Monday.
Training Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
And, in spite of a major case of information-overload, I'm lovin' it!
(oops! Wrong company. *ahem*)
I was shown the location of supplies and beverage refills.
I was instructed in dining room etiquette and the proper form for wiping tables.
My trainer(s) even helped me learn how to transport ice cubes and sauces.
But I think the most useful thing I learned this week was Chick-fil-A's Core Four.
Because I think these four things - which are the backbone of how people are treated at Chick-fil-A - ought to govern the interactions all of us have with everyone. Every day.
They are:
1. Make direct eye contact.
2. Share a smile.
3. Speak enthusiastically.
4. Make a connection.
And I love it because even though I'm still slow at taking orders, and have lots of questions when it comes to scanning the Chick-fil-A app and substituting ingredients and taking coupons and stuff like that?
I can do the Core Four!!!
There was the man Wednesday who spoke softly and I had trouble hearing him at first. When I asked him to repeat himself he said, "Yeah. My wife says I need to speak up." And that reminded me of a joke - which, of course, I had to share with him.
Oh, you wanna hear it, too?
OK. If you insist.

There was an elderly woman who was concerned about her husband's hearing - because so often he just didn't respond to her when she spoke. The woman shared her concern with the doctor and he gave her a suggestion to further her investigation.
That night when her husband was sitting in his chair she went to the other room and called out, "Honey?"
Nothing.
She moved half-way closer to him and called out again, "Honey??"
Again, no answer.
So she got right up behind her husband and called once more, "Honey???"
At which point her husband turned around and said, "For the third time, WHAT???"
That soft-spoken man and I shared a good laugh.
Connection made? Check!
And there was the mom Thursday who returned to the register to get that one thing she'd forgotten to order for her child the first time - which apparently upset said child. So I rang it up for her, but had to ask again what kind of sauce she wanted because I'd forgotten. Even though she had just asked for it less then a minute before. I smiled at her and said with a shrug, "Mom brain, you know?"
And we shared a laugh.
Connection made!
I enjoyed flirting playing peek-a-boo with a little guy who caught my attention while his parents were ordering at the adjacent register.
I felt like I could better understand the woman whose English was broken, when I leaned in and looked her in the eye.
And I truly meant it when I said to the man who graciously joked around with me as I stumbled through taking his order, "It has been my pleasure serving you!"

The thing is, I know I will get more comfortable with the details of all the tasks involved in taking orders and fulfilling duties. I'll learn the things I need to learn. And that's good. I want to get there!
But the most important thing is touching people. Making them feel like they matter, like I'm happy to see them and serve them. It's about making the love of Jesus tangible. And I am so pleased to be working for a company who knows what's really important.

Karen

No comments: