Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Could It Be My Fault?

Last week Joshua asked me when I would be home from work Friday.
I think he asked me Tuesday.
And Wednesday.
And Thursday.
He wanted to go fishing Friday and wondered if I could take him. Each time, I told him I thought I'd be home by 4:00. And, yes. I would take him to Lake Lansing.

Fast-forward to Friday at about 3:40 p.m.

I had put in a full day at work, stopped at Sam's Club to pick up a few items and was now running into Meijer to pick up one more thing before going home.
And my cell phone rang.
I knew it was Joshua, because my phone announces who's calling - and I thought, Really? But I tried to sound polite when I answered the call.
"Hi, Mom. It's Josh."
I thought, I know! But I said, "Yes?"
"Are you on your way home?"
I thought, Yes. But first I'm doing some shopping. Because when I get out of work, I'm really not finished working. Noooooo. The work is just beginning. I know, I know. You want me to take you fishing. But it isn't 4:00 yet. Will you give me a break? I'm working on getting home! But I said, "I'm running into Meijer quick. I'll be home in a little bit."
He said, "OK." But I'm pretty sure he was thinking, Hurry. I want to go fishing!

As I walked into the store I marveled at Joshua's display of impatience. I mean, calling me at 4:15 would have been understandable, but 3:40? Really??? C'mon, Joshua. Relax!
Then I got to thinking about my own struggle with patience. God and I are working on it, but patience is definitely NOT my strong suit. And I started wondering, Is there an 'impatience gene'? Did I pass that on to my son? Could this whole thing be my fault?

Yeah, yeah. I know. It's our sin nature.
But God used the moment of reflection to get me off my high horse, and to remind me I'm just as needy for His grace as my son is needy for mine!

Karen

6 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

AMEN!

:o)

I'm not a patient person either and I can see it in Christen too.

Love that you can see what God is showing you. That my friend, is a true gift! :o)

Karen Hossink said...

Thanks, Jodi. Always nice to know I'm not alone. ;o)

Patricia said...

I had so much more patience when I was teaching middle school...really!! Since Kiara, I often wonder what the heck happened to it?!?

That's my BIGGEST struggle...sigh...

Leah Adams said...

Guilty!!! I am not the patient type but God is working on me in that regard, too.

Myla Macasojot said...

I also become short tempered once in while and still struggling to reflect everytime it happens.

Karen Hossink said...

Patricia - Yeah. It took 'kids' for me to realize I am not a patient person. *wink*

Leah - When He's working on us, we're in His hands. And that's a very good thing!

Myla - Reflection is so helpful. Keep trying!