Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Only GOD

Six years ago, Joshua was in the second grade. I went into his classroom weekly to volunteer. And I spent much of my time praying while I was there. Mostly for Joshua's teacher and one little boy, C.
C was a 'trouble child'. Frequently acting out, and rarely doing what he was supposed to be doing. Often, Mrs. T would walk past me as I sat filing papers or filling Thursday Folders and she would say under her breath, "I hope you're praying right now!" And I would give her a reassuring smile. I was praying.
I remember when the end of that school year came and I wasn't sure when I would see C again. I remember praying for him, wondering what was going to become of him. I remember feeling very sad for that little boy.

We moved four years ago. And honestly? I haven't thought much about the old school - or the kids there - in the past four years. So you can imagine my surprise when I came home from the Women of Faith conference Saturday night to find C sitting on the couch in my house!
I knew we were having guests spending the night. I just didn't know C was going to be one of them.
See, friends of ours from our Small Group were getting married on Sunday. Both of them have been married before and have children - and the groom and all the boys were staying at our house. I had not met all of the bride's children before, and Saturday night I learned that C is her son!
Over the course of the past four years, C's mom came to Christ and Sunday she married a Christian man.
And C?
Has become a delightful young man.
He was so polite to me. And interacted beautifully with his mom and step-dad, and brothers and sisters, and step-brothers and step-sister, too. C was glad to become re-acquainted with my son and said he'd like to come to our house for Small Group, too. His new step-dad said he could do that if he came to church on Sunday morning, too. C agreed.

Six years ago I wondered what was going to come of that boy.
Today I see God at work in the lives of the people around him. And I believe He's working in C's heart, too.
Six years ago, I was afraid for that little boy.
Today I am reminded that God is in control. That He's always been in control.
I need not be afraid.
Of anything.

Only GOD could work out the details of a circumstance, and weave the lives of people the way He has done in this situation. Only GOD can be trusted to care for us perfectly. Only GOD knows how to work all things for good. Only GOD.
And I trust HIM!

Karen

5 comments:

Sara K. said...

I LOVE stories like that!! It gets a person excited about what the Lord can [and does] do! Your example also inspires me to pray more in such situations. Awesome!

Bless you! :)

AmberRay said...

Just discussing this very thing to my mom about trusting God. God is good all the time.

Leah Adams said...

What a wonderful story!! God is amazing!! Thanks for sharing.

Karen Hossink said...

Sara - Yay! I hope you follow through with that inspiration. :)

AmberRay - All the time, God is good!

Leah - Yes, He is. And I love it when He shows Himself powerful like this.

Amber said...

That's so awesome, Karen! I heard bits of the story at the wedding... how cool is this?!