Friday, August 12, 2011

Lessons From the Edge

Perseverance pays.

Tuesday marked my one year anniversary as the Activities Director at Edgewood.

And it gave me pause to reflect a bit.

I love my job. I've loved it since the beginning. In spite of that affinity, however, I have said frequently, "I love my job, but I hate working!"
Doing my best at work AND at home has been overwhelming to me. There have been many moments through the past year in which I've wondered if I'm doing the right thing. When I've wondered if I should quit my job and stay home full-time again. I just didn't think I could do it all. Yeah. I KNOW I can't do it all!
But one form of encouragement or another would come along, and I always chose to stay.
Through ups and downs (And with the help of my new best friend! *wink*) God has helped me transition back into the work-world. There's something significant about making it through a year, I think. Because there will be no more 'new' things at work. That is, now I've been through all the 'biggies' - like Grandparents' Day, and Christmas, and the Ladies' Tea, and the Yard Sale.
Now I know what to expect.
And that gives me a certain level of comfort.
Hey, I'm a recoverING control-freak, not a recoverED one.

So as I reflect on all the times I wanted to quit, I recognize how thankful I am - now that I persevered. Quitting may have seemed like the easier thing to do at the time, but now I (and hopefully the residents!) will reap the benefits of sticking to it.

Are you in a hard place? Thinking about quitting? I hope you'll think again. Because, perseverance pays.

Karen

5 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Thanks for the encouragment. I can't believe it has already been a year. Wow!! I know you bless those precious people every days!! They are blessed to have you.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - You're welcome. ;o)
Yes, in some ways it has been a fast year. And at other times... *sigh*
I want to always be a blessing!

BASSakward Tales said...

yes, i have often thought about throwing my hands up and quitting. as a social worker, all i want to do is spend time with my little elderly people and help them make the transition to the next life. but all this political crap and games that is played it rediculous. i got so mad friday over a patient who truly needed hospice, the family wanted hospice but the facility said no because
"they were making too much money off of her wounds". i had to hold my tongue....too bad the lady began to run a temp and increased heart rate...they sent her out and she died that night...probably alone....breaks my heart

happyhome said...

Way to hang in there! There are days I think "Really Lord? Can you just take us all home already? I'm done!". I know he has a better plan and so we persevere.

Karen Hossink said...

Ginny - For sure. The political crap and games can add to the desire to quit. Hang in there. Those folks need you!

Angela - Oh, how many times I have asked that same question!